Regulation 12.1.1 – Frances Burke Textile Resource Centre
Pursuant to Statute 12.1 - Administration of Trusts and Other Property, the Council of Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology makes the following Regulation entitled 12.1.1 - Frances Burke Textile Resource Centre.
1. The Textile Resource Collection (“the Collection”) was established by the University in 1993 as a teaching and research resource for members of the University, professional designers, relevant industries and other interested members of the public.
2. In order to ensure the preservation of the Collection as an integral part of the University, the Council resolved on 14th August 1995, that since the Textile Resource Collection was recognised as a Collection of national significance the University henceforth would maintain the Collection to provide an education and research resource both for staff and students within the University and members of the wider community.
3. In 1997 the University received a gift of $100,000 from Miss Fabie Chamberlin in memory of the late Dr Frances Mary Burke, the first recipient of the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Arts from the University. In recognition of the purpose of this gift and of Dr Burke’s distinguished contribution over several decades to both Australian textile design and to the University the Collection was renamed the Frances Burke Textile Resource Centre
4. There will be established the Frances Burke Textile Resource Centre Advisory Committee (“the Committee”) which will:
(a) monitor and review the Centre; and
(b) advise the Dean of the Faculty of Art and Design and make recommendations on all aspects of the management of the Centre including the policy concerning acquisitions, conservation, access by the public to advance research and the display and loan of items from the Centre.
5. The Committee will have the following members:
(a) Members ex officio:
(i) the Head of the Department of Fashion and Textile Design; and
(ii) the Research Coordinator of the Centre;
(b) one member nominated by the Council;
(c) not more than four members co-opted by the Committee, not less than one of which number will be a member of the University.
6. The Head of the Department of Fashion and Textile Design will be the Chairperson.
7. Members of the Committee will be appointed for a term of three years and will be eligible for re-appointment.
8. The Committee will meet not less than two times in any calendar year.
9. The Committee will be subject to Statute 1.2 - Meetings.