About the School of Graduate Research
The School of Graduate Research (SGR) provides support to candidates and supervisors during the lifecycle of postgraduate research degree. The School of Graduate Research provides administrative support to the SGR Advisory Board.
The SGR staff provides a variety of services and support for the wider Higher Degree by Research (HDR) community as listed below.
The SGR works closely with the key higher degree by research contacts in the Colleges and Schools to foster a vibrant research culture and support HDR candidates as the hone their research skills and produce cutting-edge knowledge in their chosen field.
SGR also works closely with the Higher Degree by Research representatives that represent the HDR candidate interests in the School of Graduate Research Advisory Board and the Research Committee meetings.
Services provided by SGR
- Receiving and processing applications for HDR places, managing applications, selection and payment of Australian Postgraduate Awards
- Overseeing candidature progress and planning and coordinating all HDR examinations and graduation
- Developing and implementing HDR policy and procedures
- Coordinating HDR supervisor accreditation and registration
- Providing professional development opportunities for HDR supervisors
- Managing quality reviews and monitoring Higher Degrees by Research performance (login required) and collecting and analysing HDR candidate feedback (login required) for improvement planning
- Regular operational review and student and supervisor training through projects and reviews
- Reporting on candidature management through the ResearchMaster database application
- Providing secretarial support to the School of Graduate Research Advisory Board (SGRAB).
Over the next few years Higher Degree by Research programs at RMIT will undergo a significant period of reform and consolidation as a consequence of the launch of the federal Higher Education Standards Framework and the Australian Qualifications Framework, and in response to the University's Research and Innovation Plan 2011-2015 (login required).
Read an overview of RMIT's vision for HDR programs (44KB PDF) (login required) of the 2012-2013 SGR implementation strategy.